On the morning of June 1st 2005, at about 6:45 am I was sitting in bed nursing my five week old little peanut, when my husband and I started hearing popping and wooshing sounds. At first we thought we had some sort of water leak...but then we heard a huge pop and we lost our power. Ian investigated and eventually went to the window in Mia's room, and yelled"Hun the hill's coming down behind us!" At first we had no idea the magnitude of what was going on...At 6:58 I frantically called my mom to tell her the hill was sliding and we were getting out ASAP. We began to hear sirens at 7am. I strapped the girls in their car seats and began to throw things into the car. In the matter of about 10 minutes I managed to pack almost all of our clothes, all necessary baby paraphernalia and all important photos, albums and mementos. While I was packing Ian ran up the street to help our neighbors whose homes were literally being crushed. And so began a very scary and chaotic morning. Amazingly no lives were lost, and nobody was seriously hurt. We were so lucky that our house was untouched, unfortunately many of our neighbors weren't so lucky. We were out of our home for a little over a month...since returning we have become familiar with all sorts of crazy things including every type of heavy machinery there is, a vibrating and creaking house from all the construction, midnight tractor drop-offs in front of our house, and Mia's first word besides mama & dada was tractor! Above is a picture of the Bluebird Canyon landslide at night...Friday, January 12, 2007
Day 12
On the morning of June 1st 2005, at about 6:45 am I was sitting in bed nursing my five week old little peanut, when my husband and I started hearing popping and wooshing sounds. At first we thought we had some sort of water leak...but then we heard a huge pop and we lost our power. Ian investigated and eventually went to the window in Mia's room, and yelled"Hun the hill's coming down behind us!" At first we had no idea the magnitude of what was going on...At 6:58 I frantically called my mom to tell her the hill was sliding and we were getting out ASAP. We began to hear sirens at 7am. I strapped the girls in their car seats and began to throw things into the car. In the matter of about 10 minutes I managed to pack almost all of our clothes, all necessary baby paraphernalia and all important photos, albums and mementos. While I was packing Ian ran up the street to help our neighbors whose homes were literally being crushed. And so began a very scary and chaotic morning. Amazingly no lives were lost, and nobody was seriously hurt. We were so lucky that our house was untouched, unfortunately many of our neighbors weren't so lucky. We were out of our home for a little over a month...since returning we have become familiar with all sorts of crazy things including every type of heavy machinery there is, a vibrating and creaking house from all the construction, midnight tractor drop-offs in front of our house, and Mia's first word besides mama & dada was tractor! Above is a picture of the Bluebird Canyon landslide at night...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Ok, call me stupid, but i am not really sure what I am looking at. However, they are some powerful images.
Hi Tara...no, not stupid! I partially posted without my explanation, it's probably a bit clearer now!
Oh my gosh, how tragic and SCARY! I'm glad your family and house is OK!
Oh wow! You're so lucky to have saved your house. What a horrible thing to wake to. Funny about your childs first word being "tractor". :)
How scary that must have been! Glad everyone made it through safely.
Holy Cow! How scary was that!? I'm so glad that you and your family are ok, and that damage was minimal to your home. Scary!
WOW how terrifying!! Glad everyone was safe.
Post a Comment